Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December 28 - January 2

Monday: I took the day off and watched some football.  I spent 4 hours in the airport on Sunday, and then another several hours on the plane, and by the time I disembarked in Houston, one of my knees was hurting quite a bit.  I guess running a 22 miler and taking a long flight in the same day is probably not ideal.

Tuesday:  It was cold and dark and wet and threatening to rain when I left work, so I decided to eschew my typical track workout for a workout on the treadmill at the gym.  My hope, as well, was that this workout would be easier on my knees than running the rather narrow curves of my local track.  I think I must have looked like a lunatic in my sodden cotton undershirt (since I hadn't planned to run indoors, I didn't pack a shirt to run in) furiously pounding the treadmill at a 5:52 pace with a look of agony (I'm told that I look pretty intense when I'm running hard, but I tend not to think about it at the time) on my face.  Note: a little bit of research before leaving work prompted me to put the treadmill on a 1% grade to compensate for the lack of wind resistance.
Plan: 1 mi easy, 2000m @ 6:45, 1mi 6:26, 1000m @ 6:12, 800 @ 5:58, 1 mi easy
Achieved:  (all that, plus probably some entertainment value for the folks on the stairmasters who didn't realize this was a race)

1 comment:

  1. Great job getting your runs in over the holidays, Josh. How are your knees after the treadmill? (I've also read treadmills should be set at 1% to approximate road running.)

    ReplyDelete